[ltp] Wireless things

Ingo van Lil linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Thu, 21 Apr 2005 22:37:13 +0200

On 21 Apr 2005, Ignacio Fern=E1ndez Galv=E1n wrote:

> I've never used wireless networking, so excuse my ignorance. The thing =
is =20
> my R51 sometimes lits up that "radio light" (the leftmost of the little=
 =20
> green leds at the bottom of the screen). What does it mean?

It probably means that you did load the driver for your wireless card
(ipw2200) and that your computer associated with an open wireless LAN.

> Does it mean my computer is sending out some signal? How can I turn tha=
t =20
> off?

Don't load the ipw2200 module. The card should be dead without.

> Does it mean my computer is receiving some signal? How can I get more =20
> information about it and, if possible, connect to that network (if any)=
?

Use "iwconfig" and "iwlist scan". You'll need the Wireless Tools
(http://www.hpl.hp.com/personal/Jean_Tourrilhes/Linux/Tools.html) for
that.

        Cheers,
            Ingo