[ltp] T40 and USB 2.0 (and keyboard)

Thu, 28 Apr 2005 17:13:24 +0100 (BST)

On Thu, 28 Apr 2005, Joel Ebel wrote:

> Mine said the USB2 controller was working as well, but if I plugged in
> anything USB2, it would attach itself to the slower USB controller and tell
> me the device would operate faster if plugged into a USB2 capable port.  This
> happened with USB2 hubs and storage devices.  In linux, if ehci-hcd was
> loaded, not much USB worked at all.
>
> Joel

That's exactly what mine did since I got it - Windows warned me to
plug it into the USB2 hub instead of USB1, although I seemed to get
USB2 speeds there.  And in Linux, with ehci_hcd loaded, it hardly
ever worked.

It's now stopped working completely and won't recognise anything, and
bluetooth's stopped working.  Having read previous comments here, it
sounds pretty conclusively like I need to call IBM and report it as
hardware?

On a separate topic, do people find their T4* keyboards wear out very
easily?  I've had mine swapped in the last 6 months, and the new one
has lost the legends on all the arrow keys, A, S keys, and lots more;
also the space bar only works when hit dead centre.  I tried lifting
it and applying a little strip of bouncy adhesive paper to encourage
it to press the button in the middle down, but when hit towards
either edge of the spacebar, that edge just bends down and the space
doesn't happen.  Bad design?  Anyone found a better temporary fix until I
can get IBM out?