[ltp] Kick up the Fan.

Mon, 1 Aug 2005 18:33:27 +0100 (BST)

On Mon, 1 Aug 2005, Alejandro Bonilla wrote:

> WTF? Reboots? That is far away from normal. I would try getting some thermal
> material and putting some on your system. I would remove the CPU and then
> make sure that everything is OK. I had a T40 and used to compile kernels
> daily (not Gentoo like) but It would do it for about 30 min and not have any
> trouble.
>
> My T42 does well and reaches 92C, and they _are_ 92C, the Temperature is
> being meassured well. I have latest BIOS.

Yes - shutdown.  Is 92 degrees actually ok for a Pentium M?  Seems
awfully hot, but I haven't looked at the specs.

You've reminded me I don't have the latest BIOS, if that's responsible
for shutting down a laptop if it overheats.  But can it be?  I'm using
ACPI (obviously) - can't the OS decides to initiate a shutdown too?
I could swear last time it happened that it was well signalled as
being shut down by the OS, not just a crash wallop.

Having said that, I've been doing a 100% CPU compilation just
now for 30 minutes or so (kdemultimedia SRPM rebuild) and the CPU
temperature is varying between about 70 degrees and 85 degrees.
The fan is changing accordingly, from 3500 to only about 4000 - which
doesn't seem a dramatic increase to me when so hot, as it runs at 3500
permanently even when idling.  I'd be very happy for it to double in
speed, make more noise, and cool me down a bit more.  I'm wondering
if other people's fans go quicker than that in T40s/other Ts under
high sustained load..

Marcel thanks also for your comments - I'm under warranty so could
ring them - hmm.

Honey