[ltp] Kick up the Fan.

Alejandro Bonilla linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Mon, 1 Aug 2005 11:18:10 -0600

>If I do really intensive compilations on my T40, ibm-acpi reports
>that the CPU temperature can get to nearly 90C - I'm unsure if the
>sensors are right of course (it doesn't feel THAT hot, but I don't
>have a finger on the motherboard), but the machine promptly shuts
>down, meaning the fan just didn't kick in *enough*?  It sits around

WTF? Reboots? That is far away from normal. I would try getting some thermal
material and putting some on your system. I would remove the CPU and then
make sure that everything is OK. I had a T40 and used to compile kernels
daily (not Gentoo like) but It would do it for about 30 min and not have any
trouble.

My T42 does well and reaches 92C, and they _are_ 92C, the Temperature is
being meassured well. I have latest BIOS.

Things work fine, but I have seen the FAN kicking Up before faster. I would
LOVE that for when I don't care about noise/battery.

.Alejandro