[ltp] G41 ticking

Peter B. West linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Wed, 10 Aug 2005 01:44:35 +0100

Another ticking ThinkPad.  Ever since I first loaded gentoo on my G41
(just after I got the machine) it has had an intermittent annoying
ticking.  Generally it's a monotone at about 4-5 Hz, although sometimes
there is a more rhythmical pattern.  The timing was unpredictable, but
when it started, it would usually go on, with occasional pauses, for
extended periods.  I tend to leave it running all the time, and would
find it ticking away in the morning or the middle of the night.

After a while I realized it was the disk.  Anything that involved disk
activity would silence the ticking briefly.  I looked around for some
process that might be writing to the disk in the background.  No luck.

When I fired up laptop-mode with a short disk timeout while on AC power,
the problem went away as soon as the drive spun down, nicely
demonstrating that 1) it was the disk, and 2) it was not being written
to by some background process.

Not wanting to be spinning the disk up and down in normal usage, I
experimented with some of the hdparm settings which were also in
/etc/laptop-mode/laptop-mode.conf.

I can't be entirely sure yet, but it seems that changing the power
management setting (-B) to 254 has solved the problem.  I haven't heard
the ticking since I set that value for AC running.

Peter
--
Peter B. West <http://cv.pbw.id.au/>
Folio <http://defoe.sourceforge.net/folio/>