[ltp] Fan always on problem... does it happen on R52 with the Intel Media Gr

Fri, 12 Aug 2005 16:11:00 +0200

--=-LgWxM0e1O78mLSAPpW1n

Hei Jaime,

as Florian pointed out, it's hard for you to find unbiased opinions
here. I'll add my biased one... ;-)

> I don't know what to do. I have to decide between the R52 and a Dell
> Inspiron 6000, similar to the R52 but with double amount of RAM, a
> 15.4" screen, an ATI Radeon Mobility X300 and DVD burner for 60 =A4 less
> than the R52, which is quite tempting...

My first own notebook was a Toshiba, then i got a 570, then a T23, now i
work on a T41p. Besides that i own a X20 and a TransNote.

Over the last years i bought and configured (Windows only) several
Notebooks from IBM, HP and Fujitsu Siemens for other people.

My experience is that quality outweighs features for the same money.
Yes, ThinkPads are expensive and you usually get more memory, more speed
or whatever from other manufacturers. But what makes ThinkPads
preferrable to me is not only that they last, but also that they are
thought through, and that there's hardly anything you can buy that is as
well documented. Try to get something like the IBM hardware maintenance
manuals for a Dell. I didn't check, but i doubt there is something like
that. Plus you can still find good support for 10 year old ThinkPads on
IBMs web pages. Try to find someone else offering that.

Also, concerning the features again...what makes a notebook experience
better is less that you have a DVD burner instead of a combo drive, than
the overall feeling of your work on it. First thing to mention is
ThinkPads keyboards, which are still the best. Also, the pointing device
solution is still kind of unique. Even though HP features similar stuff,
it just wasn't as precise and feelgood experience on the once that went
through my fingers (Omnibook 6000 and similar). Also, even though IBMs
nowadays "we brand everything" concept is a bit over the top, the things
that they sell as ThinkVantage Technologies really make sense. I.e. a
lot of notebooks with wireless on board still have the antenna somewhere
at the bottom of the notebook, whereas IBM has them at the top of the
display. This really raises signal strength. Other things are
hotswappable UltraBay with a hugh range of devices etc. . Does the dell
have something like APS? Just some examples.

I don't want to push you in any direction and i don't know about the R52
or R series at all. But what i want to tell you is when you try either
the Dell or the R52, pay more attention to things like "How does it feel
to type?", "Does the Touchpad fit my fingers?", "Does it feel to loose
or strong when i open the display?", "Are the connectors conveniently
placed?", "Am i bothered by noises and how much am I?", "How good is the
display?", "Does the notebook fit my pocket?", "Do i find it
sexy?"...rather than "How fast is it?", "How much memory has it?" etc. .
In the computer field it was a common thing from the very beginning that
less important features made the crowd cry out more than important ones.
I.e. just think of the MHz rush keeping looks away from the far greater
potentials of the processors architecture. Or concerning displays the
still ongoing pixel error panic conviniently making people ignore more
severe problems like flickering, color reproduction, brightness and
contrast issues.

Speed differences are not so important unless you are a total power user
and all the other stuff is simply upgradeable. And speaking of that,
look for the upgradeability in general, do some research on what you can
upgrade, how easily and what kind of upgrades and devices are available
(also on the used market).

Most importantly, remember that the point is much more about if you like
it than if it's better.

Ok, enough personal biased opinion.
Andr=E9.

--=-LgWxM0e1O78mLSAPpW1n