[ltp] SXGA+ versus XGA resolution, any suggestions?

Fri, 12 Aug 2005 13:43:40 -0700

Hi all,

I'm deciding on getting a Thinkpad and have a question about the
difference between SXGA+ (1400x1050) versus XGA (1024x768) resolution.
Most people think more is better but I have read reports of annoyances
also when the resolution is so high that, for example, many images on
web pages are ridiculously small.

My biggest concern right now would be
in running xterms at with a font that doesn't kill my eyes.  I currently
have a 15" XGA display and can pane 4 xterms on one screen using
-misc-fixed-medium-r-normal-*-*-130-*-*-c-*-iso8859-15 font.  Anything
smaller than this creates eye strain after a while and anything larger means that all 4 terms won't fit nicely on the screen.  I have also noticed before that larger fonts sizes of -misc-fixed-medium-r-normal tend to look pretty choppy, whereas other fonts tend to be much less condensed and pretty ugly to use in xterms.

Any thoughts/suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

--
Daniel