[ltp] Fan always on problem... does it happen on R52 with the Intel Media Graphics card?

Sat, 13 Aug 2005 14:47:48 -0700

> > I'm thinking about buying an R52. I was pretty sure that this was the
> > laptop I needed but then I read about the "fan always on" problem
>
> I've just got an ThinkPad R52 test laptop (i915 graphics), running it under
> all the supplied Windows configurations, the fan appears to be permanently
> on.
>
> I would far prefer it to come at full speed for a minute and stay off for
> the next ten.  I suspect now that it's bugging me I'll just have to find a
> way to fix it...  *evil grin*.
>
> With the screen down, ACPI reckons the machine is using about 15W, so it
> should be possible to dissipate that amount passively.

For what its worth, I just bought one of those $30 Targus "laptop
cooler" things: basically a platform with two built-in fans powered by
the laptop's USB port, and I can say it makes a significant difference
in the temperature of the laptop.