[ltp] Preferred distro for Thinkpads?

Joshua Megerman linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Sun, 14 Aug 2005 14:59:59 -0400

On Sunday 14 August 2005 12:56 pm, Brian D. Ropers-Huilman wrote:
> Josh, I am also a Gentoo user on my R50p (1832-22U). I have a few quick
> questions about your setup:
>
> 1) X.org driver: fglrx, radeon, or the r300 driver? I'd love to have
> accelerated video but haven't made time to mess with it. I use:
>
> ibis ~ # qpkg -v -I xorg
> x11-base/xorg-x11-6.8.2-r2 *
>
> with the radeon driver.

I'm using fglrx, although lately I could get away with radeon if I wanted to.
I have and used to play Neverwinter Nights on my laptop, but haven't had time
to play it for about a year :)  I also use the latest stable xorg-x11.

> 2) ACPI or APM? I started APM, then tried ACPI, then went back to APM:
>
> ibis ~ # qpkg -v -I apm
> sys-apps/apmd-3.2.1_p4 *
>
> My sleep works just fine with a "acpi_sleep=s3_bios" in my grub.conf. At
> one point I needed a /etc/apm/suspend.d/20chvt and /etc/apm/resume.d/20chvt
> scripts to preserve my video; I'm not sure if I need them anymore.

I'm currently using APM - I tried ACPI, but between the fglrx issues and not
getting suspend working properly, I went back to APM.  I have a 1.75G FAT
partition for the BIOS suspend file, which works just fine.

When you used acpi_sleep=s3_bios, did it use the BIOS suspend, or is that
still software suspend?

> 3) Video out? I've never tried to get this to work, but would love to. My
> in-laws do not have a DVD player and I have, in the past, connected my Mac
> PowerBook up, trivially, to their VCR so my kids and the cousins could
> watch movies. I'd love for that to "just work" with this thing as well.

Never tried it, but my understanding is that the fglrx driver can do it if you
tell it to.  It would be nice to know it works, but it's just not needed
right now.

> I've tons of other questions, but thought I'd start with the big ones.

Sure - I keep meaning to put up a page about it, but I never have the time...

> Thanks for any attention you give this request!

You're welcome!

Josh
--
Joshua Megerman
SJGames MIB #5273 - OGRE AI Testing Division