[ltp] SXGA+ versus XGA resolution, any suggestions?

Bret Comstock Waldow linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Sun, 14 Aug 2005 08:43:59 +1200

--nextPart6187142.QL3iGUmgzY

On Sun, 14 Aug 2005 01:53, honey@gneek.com wrote:

> But I really need an xterm that can kick off
> multiple tabs at startup time (gnome-terminal --tab ... --tab ...) -
> can konsole or any others do this?  Wasn't obvious to me.

I use KDE desktop, I have a Konsole with three tabs open.  If I restart the=
=20
machine, Konsole comes up with three tabs open again.  Is that what you mea=
n?

> Bret, what difference does setting DisplaySize make in xorg.conf?
> I've never used it, and never noticed a problem: interested what it
> does for you?

Pixels are pixels, but font point sizes are physical measurements.  If X kn=
ows=20
the physical size of the display, it scales the various items it displays t=
o=20
be their proper physical size on screen.  Those numbers are the horizontal=
=20
and vertical screen size in millimeters.

If I have a 12" 1024x768 display, and a 14" 1024x768 display, and don't tel=
l X=20
about the sizes, it will go by a default, and the 12" will have the same=20
number of rows, same number of pixels per font cell.  If I tell X the=20
physical size, it will use an appropriate proportion of pixels to make the=
=20
font cells, and the characters will come out the same size - fewer on the=20
12", but then, it's smaller.  There should be fewer characters of a given=20
point size on a physically smaller display.

Try it before you decide - this has fixed some ugly font display problems I=
=20
have had in one swell foop.

Cheers,
Bret