[ltp] Preferred distro for Thinkpads?

Charles E. "Rick" Taylor, IV linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Mon, 15 Aug 2005 11:28:21 -0400

On Mon, 2005-08-15 at 16:40 +0200, Jaime Iniesta wrote:
> I'm not sure between Ubuntu and Debian. I tried Ubuntu once and I
> liked it. What I didn't like at all is all that "sudo" thing, I mean,
> I prefer the standard way where there is a clear distinction between
> normal users and root. Can this be disabled in Ubuntu?

Seems pretty easy to set up a "normal" root user.

http://www.ubuntulinux.org/support/documentation/faq/root

... but for a personal laptop, the sudo stuff isn't actually all that
bad.  It makes it easier to work on a system where you actually need
root access frequently, but don't actually run as root all the time.

I will admit that the lack of a root account confused me a bit when I
first installed Ubuntu on my test machine - having come from a
Redhat/Slackware background.

[rant mode]
I am used to Fedora, but d*mn if they don't make it hard to use on a
laptop.  Want suspend-to-ram to work without turning off 3D accel?
Patch and recompile the X server and kernel.  Want suspend-to-disk to
work?  Patch the kernel and recompile.  Want speedstep to work
correctly?  Load a kernel module, disable that userspace CPU junk that
Fedora ships with.  Waving a dead chicken around might help, too.
[/rant mode]

Okay, I'm better now.  Really.  :)

*  Charles E. "Rick" Taylor, IV <tomalek@mindspring.com>
*  Chemistry instructor / Mad scientist / Linux enthusiast!
*  Web: http://home.mindspring.com/~charletiv/