[ltp] T42 wireless suddenly no longer works...

Paul H. Yoshimune linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Mon, 15 Aug 2005 12:47:02 -0700

All:

I have an odd situation I'm hoping I can get some help with.  I have a
T42 with Intel 2200 wireless, running RHEL4U1.  I installed the ipw2200
software (current version), and things were running swimmingly for a few
weeks.  Suddenly, wireless is completely dead.  Trying to activate eth1
from the Network Configuration GUI gives: "Determining IP information
for eth1...failed; no link present.  Check cable?"

iwconfig says:

eth1      unassociated  ESSID:"vindicia-sm"  Nickname:"paul.sm.vindicia.com"
          Mode:Managed  Frequency=2.412GHz  Access Point:
00:00:00:00:00:00
          Bit Rate=0kb/s   Tx-Power=20 dBm
          Retry limit:7   RTS thr:off   Fragment thr:off
          Power Management:off
          Link Quality:0  Signal level:0  Noise level:0

That is the proper ESSID.  Oddly, running KWiFiManager shows NOT
CONNECTED, with no signal strength, etc., HOWEVER, scanning for networks
does show all the local networks around here.

The radio itself isn't dead, either.  This machine dual boots, and when
doing so into Windows XP, everything works fine.  Given that, I don't
really know where to start looking, or how to diagnose the problem.  Has
anyone seen this before, and/or know where to point me in the right
direction?  Thanks...

-Paul