[ltp] Preferred distro for Thinkpads?

Mon, 15 Aug 2005 22:39:38 +0100 (BST)

On Mon, 15 Aug 2005, Charles E. "Rick" Taylor, IV wrote:

> I've had very good results with the
> kernel-2.6.11-1.14_FC3_cubbi1_swsusp2 kernel with an Ubuntu patch to
> solve the Intel video problem and a few other tweaks.  Many, many
> suspends and practically no problems.  (I keep my data backed up just in
> case, but ...)  With my work schedule, I have much less time for bug
> hunting these days.

I'd urge you to be careful with that kernel, if you have ext3
filesystems.  If you do, see the thread:

http://lists.suspend2.net/lurker/thread/20050709.093137.ad0c7fa6.en.html#20050709.093137.ad0c7fa6

- there was a kauditd bug fixed early on by the suspend2 team, but
many people continued to see massive file system corruption until
this was finally squashed in 2.1.9.12, not only in FC4.

It may be you won't experience corruption on your kernel, as it's pre
suspend2 2.1.9, which may be the point at which the bug crept in.
The pattern of when it would happen was never clear, some never
affected and others seeing corruption as often as once every 20
suspend cycles.  When corruption did occur, it was pretty massive -
I went through several hour-long fsck -y sessions, and sometimes had to
re-add the ext3 journal with tune2fs.  I never lost data, but many did.

If you don't use ext3, I'll take a wild guess you're ok, but don't
hold me to it :)

> About the only place it seems to show up these days is in mixing and
> matching repositories.  (Livna vs AT/Freshrpms, for instance).  It is
> usually unnecessary, but people do it anyway for some reason.  Me, I
> just use the official repos and freshrpms.  No problems.

Mixing, yep, particularly with some repositories :)

Honey