[ltp] T21 battery charging and draining problems

Wookey linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Tue, 16 Aug 2005 15:42:53 +0100

Tom Adelstein wrote:
> On Mon, 2005-08-15 at 11:56 -0700, Robert Kleemann wrote:
>
>>Tom Adelstein wrote:
>>

>>>That leads me to one conclusion - Linux needs re-engineering to work on
>>>the T21. I'm currently investigating this issue. I can do everything in
>>>Linux I can do in the other OS and I'm using apm not acpi - which is the
>>>correct architecture. By the time I get through the bootup process, I
>>>don't have time to issue a suspend command, the battery starts to go
>>>when gnome appears.
>>>
>>>So, something within the system hardware isn't getting turned on or off.
>>>

>>Thanks for the comments.  It sounds like I'm in for an uphill battle.
>>
>>I'm still getting everything running (installing gentoo) and power
>>management is my next task.  I'm going to give ACPI a shot since it
>>seems to be more actively developed than apm.  I'll let you know about
>>any success stories.
>>
>>Robert.
>

> Robert,
>
> ACPI doesn't work at all with the T21. In fact, you'll want to add
> acpi=no to your bootloader.

I have a T22, but my understanding is that pretty much only the CPU speed
is different from a T21. I have found that whilst apm 'just works', acpi
does also works so long as you use a new enough kernel (it started
behaving right around 2.6.10 for me (Debian stock kernel, without ibm-acpi
extras)).

The only thing still broken is that the sound card is dead after sleeping,
although running alsaconf will usually bring it back.

So I'd agree that for an easy life just using apm is a good choice for the
time being at least, but saying that 'acpi doesn't work' is no longer true.

Wookey