[ltp] Etherjet Mini-PCI prevents booting on T21

Robert Kleemann linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Tue, 16 Aug 2005 18:18:50 -0700

I just bought a ethernet/modem minipci combo card to replace the lucent
winmodem in my thinkpad T21.

The problem in a nutshell is that when the minipci card is installed the
machine does not boot.

The new minipci card has a model number of 08K3125 and seems to
correspond to:
http://www.thinkwiki.org/wiki/Intel_10/100_Ethernet_Mini-PCI_Adapter_with_56K_Modem

When I boot I get normal thinkpad splash screen (IBM logo + "F1 for
bios, F12 for boot options") then the screen goes blank and as far as I
can tell the machine is hung.

If I press either F1 or F12 before the hang then I get a brief message:

Initializing Intel Boot Agent Version 2.6 (Build 006)

...then I get the same hang as before.  Note: the machine is not
_totally_ hung, I can sitll use the FN keys to turn the monitor off and
on and to turn the reading light on and off.  The power button still
lets me shut the machine off.

The hang occurs with ac connected or not, battery connected or not,
ethernet cable connected or not.

I suppose the number one candidate is that the new minipci card is
defective but since I bought it mail order I want to try everything else
before returning it.

Clearly the boot agent bios is very old.  It claims to be v2.6 and it
seems ibm offers updates all the way to 4.0.17:
http://www-307.ibm.com/pc/support/site.wss/document.do?sitestyle=ibm&lndocid=MIGR-4P52BH

My thinkpad bios is up to date at v1.16

But if I can't even boot the machine with the minipci card installed
then i can't update the bios.  The boot agent bios is in the minipci
card not somewhere else right?

I tried removing the card, disabling as much hardware as i could find in
the bios (serial, parallel, etc), and reinstalling the card but I
received the same symptoms.

I'm open to any crazy ideas.

Robert.