[ltp] T43: How well does it work?

Torkild U. Resheim linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Thu, 18 Aug 2005 09:37:21 +0200

On Thursday 18 August 2005 01:15, Felix E. Klee wrote:
> We consider buying a T43 with a 15" screen, perhaps with a Multi Burner
> for doing backups.  Some questions (sorry, I cannot specify a definite
> model yet - it hasn't been decided on):
I do have some experience with my T43p running SuSE 9.3.

> * Does hibernation work flawlessly?
No. But I understand it's because I'm using the ATI drivers to get more 3D
performance. These does not support hibernation.

> * Does DVD writing work flawlessly (of course, also after resuming from
>   hibernation)?
Yes.

> * Do the available graphics chips/cards work flawlessly (most likely at
>   1024x768)?  How's the quality of the VGA output signal?
I've used both the x.org and ATI drivers. Everything seems OK, even switching
resolution using the "Screen resolution" applet. Never tried the VGA output.

> BTW, a T42 with a 15" screen would also be of interest, but many dealers
> in Germany don't offer them anymore.
>
> Felix
Torkild.