[ltp] Read temperature/Fan always running/Thinkpad T42

Stephan Groß linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Thu, 18 Aug 2005 13:34:59 +0200

Am Donnerstag, 18. August 2005 13:13 schrieb Martin Steinmetz:
> Thanx for your mail.
> I´m using the kernel vers. 2.6.11.4-21.6-default.
> So the ibm_acpi module is as far a I can see included.
> But how can i enable it? The Readme says " If you are compiling this driv=
er
> as included in the Linux kernel sources, simply enable the CONFIG_ACPI_IBM
> option (Power Management / ACPI / IBM ThinkPad Laptop Extras)".
> But where can I find  "Power Management/ACPI/IBM Think Pad Laptop Extras"?

The kernel includes a deprecated version of the ibm_acpi module that does not
support fan control. You have to install the current version from source code
(see http://ibm-acpi.sourceforge.net/). Please follow the instructions given
in the readme file there to install the driver.

You can also find some scripts to automatically control the fan at
http://thinkwiki.org/wiki/ACPI_fan_control_script.

Kind regards,
Stephan.