[ltp] activating 3 button on a t40p under debian sarge

Josh Battles linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Thu, 18 Aug 2005 11:12:36 -0500 (CDT)

honey@gneek.com said:
> On Thu, 18 Aug 2005, Josh Battles wrote:
>
>> I may be wrong here but I figured that the middle button was only for
>> scrolling, and since there's a stripe on the right-hand side of the
>> touchpad
>> that functions as a scroll bar, the middle button wasn't necessary.  That
>> functionality worked right out of the box for me but the middle button for
>> the trackpoint (eraser) didn't; it functiond as a regular click until I
>> changed it.
>
> Hmm - no stripe on my touchpad.  You need to install the synaptic
> drivers for that, yes?  Not being a trackpoint user, I always assumed
> the middle button was a... middle button.  I'm wrong?  I mean, mine
> couldn't be used for scrolling - it only has one direction, down..!

I didn't install any drivers for the stripe to work.  I installed Ubuntu on
my thinkpad to try it out tuesday night and it just worked.  I've got a T42
though, so that might be the difference if that's not what you're using.

The center button for the trackpoint device if pressed, will allow you to
move whatever's on the screen in the direction you move the trackpoint in.
Press the middle button, move the trackpoint downwards, your stuff scrolls
that way.  Move it sideways, your stuff scrolls that way.

> I think we're missing each other here.  If you use the touchpad, are
> you saying the trackpoint buttons (above) it work as well as the
> buttons below it?  And you can change their funtionality?  How?  Mine
> are dead.

Sure, if you haven't disabled the trackpoint device the buttons should still
work.  Until I figured out how to make the center button function the way I
wanted it to (thanks to another poster in this thread and some googling) I
had been using any combination of the trackpoint, touchpad, and all the
buttons for both.

--
- Josh
www.omg-stfu.com