[ltp] Re: Cloning a hard disk?

Bert Haskins linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Fri, 19 Aug 2005 15:43:23 -0400

Andrew Crawford wrote:

>Hi Bert,
>
>I have done it both with older versions of Ghost and using Partition
>Image (previously described).  If you create a partition of the same
>size on the destination disk and, restore/copy your partition there, you
>can use software like Partition Editor (parted - available on the
>previously-mentioned System Rescue CD) or (the commercial package)
>Partition Magic to resize the partition to the desired size.
>
>I'm not quite sure what you mean by "copy but do not restore properly."

Ghost will do the copy with no complaints, but when I try to restore the
copy
there doesn't seem to be any magic incantation that it will accept.
Includeing the examples that they have in their docs.
Don't they ever try those things before publishing them?
ghost -clone,mode=pdump,src=1:2,dst=g:\part2.gho ( g: is a mapped
network drive).
part2.gho  was then burned to a cd and verified on several different cd
drives..

ghost -clone,mode=pdload,src=e:\part2.gho,dst=1:2
I honestly have forgotten the error message that this and many, many
variations
of the theme produced but I tried for hours and could not find anything
that would work.

I'm not a big fan of partition magic either.
It seems that  if you set up the HD with anything else PM with just exit
with an error code after
I've even seen PM error out on disks that I set up using PM.
Once again there were no error messages before exiting the program.
The very worst of all though are the "disk mangler" programs that have
come with WD and Maxtor
hard drives.