[ltp] Kick up the Fan - R50e Fan problems - Broken governors

David A. Desrosiers linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Mon, 22 Aug 2005 14:02:13 -0400 (EDT)

> i don't think that's hot enough to cause a lockup unless your
> hardware is faulty.

 	I just verified that it locks up with CPU at 49, GPU at 66,
but I was checking the temp every 3 seconds for 45 minutes and it was
up to 74C on the GPU for a bit, then went down to 66 and locked up. It
doesn't seem to be specifically because of high heat, but more because
of "extended use" of the 3D functions, I guess.

 	I'm not sure where to go to debug it. Maybe the microcode in
the bios? Some bug in the VGA firmware? It seems lower than the OS
itself, but I'm not sure how much influence I have to change it.

David A. Desrosiers
desrod@gnu-designs.com
http://gnu-designs.com