[ltp] thinkpad t43 suspend

Steven J. Owens linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Tue, 23 Aug 2005 14:18:38 -0400

On Mon, Aug 08, 2005 at 08:21:01AM +0300, Domas Monkus wrote:
> I'm having trouble making my T43 suspend correctly. I'm using Arch
> Linux (www.archlinux.org) at the moment. The thinkpad seems to suspend
> correctly, but it doesn't wake up fully.

     FWIW, I see the same thing with ubuntu linux.  Asking on #ubuntu
I'm getting the general response that suspend is very finicky and
hardware dependent, and hibernate is much more reliable.  So for now
I'm just using hibernate.  It's been generally good so far, though there
were a few times when it had problems coming back.  This hasn't recurred
much, but then I only switched to only using hibernate a week before my
vacation started, two weeks ago, so I haven't been using it as much.  It
did come right up out of hibernation after sitting, unplugged, for a couple
weeks.

     I'm really very vague on this whole topic, and I wouldn't mind
somebody clueing me in.  Particularly, if I just close the lid, will
it automatically go into hibernate?  How do I make it do so?  If I use
a key combination (fn-f12 I think) or a command to make it go into
hibernate, and I close the lid before it finishes hibernating, am I
messing it up, or will it carry on normally and cleanly go to sleep?

     I'd like it to start up faster on resume; I realize the "right"
answer is "fix suspend and use that", but meanwhile, any advice on how
to tweak things to make it boot and resume faster?

     This warning in dmesg here is a bit disturbing:

Warning: CPU frequency is 2133000, cpufreq assumed 1866000 kHz.

     There are some other bits in dmesg that are, well, not disturbing,
but disquieting:

sg_write: data in/out 56/56 bytes for SCSI command 0x12--guessing data in;
   program gnome-cd not setting count and/or reply_len properly
g_write: data in/out 26/26 bytes for SCSI command 0x5a--guessing data in;
   program gnome-cd not setting count and/or reply_len properly
...(repeated 10 times here, with variations)...
printk: 22 messages suppressed.
sg_write: data in/out 30576/30576 bytes for SCSI command 0xbe--guessing data in;
   program gnome-cd not setting count and/or reply_len properly
...(repeated 7 times here, with variations)...
atkbd.c: Keyboard on isa0060/serio0 reports too many keys pressed.
...(repeated 5 times here, then 2 more times at the end)....

--
Steven J. Owens
puff@darksleep.com

 Take it all with a grain of salt." - http://darksleep.com/notablog