[ltp] t22 battery replacement dead?

David Smith linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Tue, 23 Aug 2005 22:19:49 -0500 (CDT)

Wondering if anyone else has this problem.

I recently purchased a new battery replacement from titannotebook.com. Its
a chinese unit with japanese cells. Advertised at 4AH for my T22.

The first one they shipped me lost full charge capacity, by cycle 15 it
was down to about 20 Wh.  I tried turning off auto-hibernate and standby
features and ran the battery until the machine turned off, then a full
recharge.
This resulted in the capacity reducing further.

I have since spent money to return to them the battery and now the second
one is apparently doing the same thing. 5 Cycles and the capacity has gone
from 43 WH to 34 Wh.  I am running the latest bios.

Anyone else with this issue?  I also noticed out of the box their
batteries drained to about 50%, then to 4%, would stay at 4% for even an
hour at times or more then go to 2% for less than a minute and the machine
would then turn off.

I am currently trying this; Taped the three center conductors on the
battery so the "brain" is off, and am draining the battery until the
machine turns off, hoping it will give me back my battery capacity.

-- dave