Threadjumping here, was Re: [ltp] A30 TP info, please

Helen Borrie linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Wed, 24 Aug 2005 14:37:32 +1000

At 11:43 PM 23/08/2005 -0400, Bert Haskins wrote:
>... and over four hours on my 390x boxes.

Confirmed, re battery capacity.  I was running my 390e connected to the
mains, when it suddenly died and wouldn't reboot.  After much fear and
dread I discovered that the power connector had fallen out of the back at
some point during the day and the thing had just carried on with battery
power for 5 hours and then some (not sure how much, but possibly 0.5 to 1
hr more than 5).  (Had to dig around furiously in downloaded PDF user docs
to find out what all those little green and orange lights actually mean!!)

>If you want a good cheap laptop and you have modest requirements, I would
>like to suggest the 390x with the 14" screen.
>The 15" models have a nicer and brighter screen but they suffer from a
>just plain stupid lcd cable design that tends to break down and once again is
>hard to find and expensive.

Why I hijacked the thread - any useful tips about getting the system
speaker and also the sound system incl. built-in speakers working,
please?  I'm using Mandrake 10.1 Community currently and the drakconf sound
configuration tool seems to be a do-nothing placeholder.  It recognises the
card, offers me a default driver and also the esssolo1 alternative but
doesn't write anything to disk when asked to configure.  At bootup, I see
the message "Error while initializing the sound driver: device: default
can't be opened for playback (No such file or directory).  The sound server
will continue, using the null output device."

thks,
Helen