[ltp] Polishing the case of an X20

Helen Borrie linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Thu, 25 Aug 2005 19:10:42 +1000

Cleaning tips #3  :D

If you want the "toothy" patch to be more like the worn surface surrounding
it, try a soft cloth that has been wet and wrung out tight.  Dip a small
pad of this slightly moist cloth in French dressing and gently rub the
rough patch in a circular motion from the edge to the
centre.  Periodically, wipe the area with the "clean" part of the cloth and
work with a fresh pad of dressing.  French dressing = oil + vinegar + salt
+ water, similar to the body secretions that broke down the textured
surface and caused the patina on the rest of the case.

To go the other way and restore some of the "tooth" on used cases and
keyboards, again use a soft cloth.  But, for this purpose, instead of the
French dressing, dissolve sodium bicarbonate (baking soda) in warm water (2
teaspoons per 500ml) and use this solution to moisten the cloth.  Care!  If
the cloth feels "wet" then it's too wet!  You can alternatively use plain
soda water, the kind you use for mixing drinks, after it has gone "flat".

Best cloth I know for this kind of cleaning is a microfibre "magic" car
detailing cloth or similar, the kind that looks like fine turkish
towelling.  (These cloths and the soda water are also great for cleaning
the LCD monitor, your spectacles,  the viewer of your digital camera,
mirrors, windows, bathtubs, showers and to freshen up the appearance of a
dark suit!)

Helen