[ltp] Partitioning - how to keep IBM recovery partition active?

Sat, 27 Aug 2005 16:52:55 -0400

Quoting Lior David <liorda@gmail.com>:

> I want to keep my XP installation and the option to enter the hidden
> recovery tools by hitting the "access IBM" button during startup.
>
> How can I do it?
>
> And please advise my about the best partition configuration for the newbie.
>
> R50e, btw :)
>
> Thanks!

Hello,

I've addressed this issue several times in the past month or two. You
can search
the archives to find all you need to know. Basically, if you want to keep the
recovery partition active, you leave it exactly as is, don't move or change it
in any way, and then use NTLDR as your bootloader. If you use GRUB, you will
get a BSOD when you try to boot the recovery partition.

Also, you'll want your XP installation in the first partition, because if you
have to restore it from the recovery partition, your only choices are to wipe
the entire drive and restore, or wipe the first partition and restore.

Good luck.