[ltp] Partitioning - how to keep IBM recovery partition active?

Sun, 28 Aug 2005 13:14:29 -0400

Quoting honey@gneek.com:

> On Sat, 27 Aug 2005, jgidi@umd.umich.edu wrote:
>
>> When you restart, Windows should load. It will complain about the
>> size of the
>> partition being changed, but it should still boot up fine. If your Windows
>> installation is working ok, you need to set up NTLDR to dual-boot to Linux.
>
>> If you need to use the recovery partition, just press the
>> blue "Access IBM" button when you turn the computer on. It should load up
>> properly and allow you to restore Windows.
>
> Don't quite get this: why do you need to use NTLDR?  Grub doesn't get
> in the way of accessing the recovery partition for me, I don't think.
> If you press the "Access IBM" button, it's pre-grub, pre-NTLDR.
> Maybe I'm missing something here though.

Honey,

At least on my R51, the recovery partition crashes with a blue screen of death
every time I try to use it if GRUB is written to the MBR. It works just
fine if
NTLDR is used as the bootloader. I don't know why this is, or if it's a
model-specific quirk. It just seems to not like having GRUB on MBR.

If anyone else has a different experience, I'd be glad to know about it.

Joe