[ltp] R50e not resuming from S3: either hard-lockup or reboot

Julius Plenz linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Sun, 28 Aug 2005 19:35:23 +0200

Hi!

I'm having troubles getting S3 (suspend to ram) to work on R50e. It
always goes to suspend correctly, but it's not waking up correctly. It
doesn't matter whether I use "echo -n mem > /sys/power/state" or
"echo -n 3 > /proc/acpi/sleep". Here is what happens:

With "acpi_sleep=s3_bios[,s3_s3_mode]":
    Hard-Lockup after resume. Backlight comes back on again,
    underscrore-cursor begins to blink in the upper left corner and
    the system is stalled. Ctrl+Alt+Del doesn't work, neither does
    Ctrl+Alt+Shift+SysRQ+b.

Without acpi_sleep Kernel parameters:
    After resuming (backlight comes on) the cursor blinks for like 5
    seconds, after that the HD begins to spin, the cdrom drive tests
    if there is a cdrom in there and the system goes for a reboot.

I've tried to suspend without X, with X running, with manually saving
the graphic card's state, with saving the graphic card's state using
vbetool. I've also tried to stop hotplugd in order to unload all the
wireless lan and usb modules.

Suspend-to-disk (S4) works perfectly well (though slow) here, with
either swsusp or swsusp2 (which I'm currently using).

Some more information on my system:
    Kernel 2.6.12.3 (vanilla, swsusp2 patches applied)
    512 MB RAM, GC: Intel 82852/855GM
    ACPI version: 20050309

Do you have any suggestions how I might solve my S3 problems?

Julius