[ltp] R52 - ACPI - 18586MM

Onno Benschop linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Wed, 31 Aug 2005 16:15:27 +0930

Jiang Qian wrote:

>Glad sleep now works. Just curious, what are you running mysql for? On=20
>a notebook??
> =20

I'm a web developer, writing software without an Internet connection is=20
simpler if you're running a web server and a database :)

>Also a hint. Now you load ibm_acpi using
>modprobe ibm_acpi experimental=3D1 hotkey=3Denable,0xfff
>try=20
>echo disable> /proc/acpi/ibm/fan
>to disable fan. If the fan annoys you, you can try the script on wiki=20
>to make the fan only on at the temperature you set. It also saves=20
>battery. But be aware if you don't take battery off when  you're on AC=20
>hot system is bad for your battery.
> =20

Thanks for the tip.

>If you use gkrellm I highly recommend you to compile the latest=20
>version(maybe it's already there on sid)
>It now support showing ibm_acpi temperature/fan sensors. Particularly=20
>when you're fiddling with fan, you don't want to toast your system=20
>doing it. I now use 2.2.7
> =20

Excellent advice, doing this just worked:

    aptitude install gkrellm

You have no idea how much relief this brings me.

Thanks for your help.

I think the missing magic was that mysql wasn't stopping. I'll add a=20
warning to the wiki.

I've turned off video expansion in BIOS and my console no longer=20
corrupts. It's running vga=3Dnormal, I'll experiment some more with that.=

I still have other issues, but I feel better prepared and much less=20
"boxed in".

When I've sorted all the bits out, I'll put up a document and send a=20
link to here.

Cheers,

--=20
Onno Benschop

Connected via Optus B3 at S34=B045'36.5" - E139=B000'08.7" (Mount Pleasan=
t, SA)
--
()/)/)()        ..ASCII for Onno..
|>>?            ..EBCDIC for Onno..
--- -. -. ---   ..Morse for Onno..

Proudly supported by Skipper Trucks, Highway1, Concept AV, Sony Central, =
Dalcon
ITmaze   -   ABN: 56 178 057 063   -  ph: 04 1219 8888   -   onno@itmaze.=
com.au