[ltp] Noise and Power Consumption of T20 and T23

Ted Frater linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Mon, 05 Dec 2005 22:46:16 +0000

Hannes Kuhnert wrote:

>Now I've been using a Thinkpad T20 for several months and I really like it:
>Most time the fan isn't running, hence it operates quite quiet.
>
>My sister would like to have a notebook, too, and she should get one of these:
>
>	T20	featuring Mobile Pentium III 750MHz	319¤
>	T23	featuring Mobile Pentium III-M 1000MHz	369¤
>
>I'm expecting the T23 to be clearly more powerful and that would justify the
>higher price.
>
>Information about the CPU on <http://thinkwiki.org> lets me assume, that the
>T23 consumes more power than the T20. Is that right? Is it relevant, if one
>does the same things - I mean only writing, e-mailing and things like that -
>on both machines?
>
>Can the T23 be operated without the fan running as well as the T20 at low
>load?
>
>Which one of T20-750 and T23-1000 would you choose and why? What are
>significant differences?
>
>BTW, has anyone else experienced a Thinkpad interfering with FM Radio? Mine
>does, the AC Adaptor does it even more, not to mention the notebook switched
>on on AC power.

Go for the T23 because
It has the faster processor,
 will take 1gig of ram, the T20 will only take 512megs
 the T23 can be found with a 1400 by 1050 res screen on a 14in diagonal,
if your lucky.

 It can also be updated to wireless. Ive had one of these through my
hands earlier this year and it was a lovely machine.
 as for the other questions, Im not able to help you.
IF you can find an A20P or an A21P these are larger  ie desktop
replacement  laptops, there the best that IBM made at that
time.
 Tho you might have to pay a premium for one with the 1600 by 1200
screen on a 15in diagonal.
Theres much more to a thinkpad than the processor.
 Screen quality is just as important.
 Even more so if you want to do digital phtograpy editing.
 the low res ie 1024 by 768 are unsuitable for this work.
Hope th isis of some help.
I use an A21P every day, running linux Suse 10 with a fritz pcmcia isdn
modem,