[ltp] considering t43p... is the lenovo quality okay?

Fri, 09 Dec 2005 19:32:47 +0000

Bret Comstock Waldow wrote:
> On Fri, 09 Dec 2005 13:57, Alejandro Bonilla Beeche wrote:
>

>>I wouldn't worry at all, is the same people. "Same thing, different
>>name" and not even cause it still says IBM. ;-)
>

> I have read that IBM lost money on Thinkpad sales.  Unless Lenovo has a death
> wish, they will be making changes.
>
> Perhaps they are smarter business people than IBM, perhaps they have supplies
> and parts available at better prices than IBM for the sam quality.
>
> On the other hand, perhaps they think they are smarter business people, or
> that the quality of their supplies is good enough for the price, but low
> enough that they won't lose money on selling Thinkpads.
>
> We don't know what they will do, nor how well they will do it.
>
> But I will suggest that if it's actually the same, Lenovo will go out of
> business.  I think only time will tell.

I do hope that this means that, at least for the top end, the price will
go up, and the quality will get even better. It's still true that
Thinkpads are the best laptops that exist, but they aren't as far ahead
of the competition as they were. Some of the budget models aren't
particularly special.

It used to be the case that thinkpads were very much like Apple are
(considered to be) now: i.e absolutely the best machine that one could
buy, and considered as such. Not that there is anything wrong with the
newer machines, but I get the feeling they aren't made with as much
"love" as the older ones. For one example, the 760 came with an offer of
a free custom-engraved nameplate.

Richard