[ltp] SOLVED atitvout: s-video/tv-out in colour?

Leon Brokken linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Sun, 11 Dec 2005 14:06:52 +0100

Alright, figured it out. Here's what I did:

Apparently the tv doesn't support s-video. So I got a SCART cable (as
that's the only possible input in the tv) with RCA plug at the other
end, and a convertor/adaptor to connect the RCA plug to the s-video out
port of the laptop.
- install atitvout
- make an alternative xorg.conf file, with "vesa" instead of the radeon
or ati driver for the card, and a lower resolution in the modeline.
640x480 works fine for me to watch films full screen.
- plug in the cables and switch on the tv, then boot
- login and change to run level 1:
# init 1
(I have no idea why, but this was the thing to be done to get colour on
the tv screen; booting straight to run level 1 doesn't work because then
the alsa modules don't get loaded - again, no idea why)
- start X with the low-resolution xorg.config:
$ startx -- -config xorg.conf.tv
- with X running, issue
# atitvout pal
# atitvout -f t
- and there you are!

mplayer plays most films full screen, but some don't resize. Xine takes
care of those, but appears to be a bit slower than mplayer.

If anyone can enlighten me why colour only works in runlevel 1, or why
there's a difference between booting straight to runlevel 1 compared to
booting first to run level 3, and then changing to level 1 with respect
to the alsa modules, then I'd love to hear about it!

Cheers, Leon.