[ltp] dual head Failing video or bad Xorg settings?

John Locke linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Mon, 12 Dec 2005 09:49:25 -0800

Hi,

I've been using my T41 with Mandrake 10.1, with no major issues for the
past year. A couple weeks ago I installed Mandriva 2006 to get some of
the new features--wireless management, suspend, hibernate, etc. Most of
those are working fine. However, I'm starting to have trouble with my
dual head configuration.

When I connect my external LCD monitor through the VGA connection and
start X, I get some weird flashing/streaking horizontal lines on the
laptop screen. The framebuffer and console are absolutely fine (with
nothing appearing on the external display). The laptop with no external
monitor connected/MergedFB off, works fine, too. It's only when MergedFB
is on, at certain resolutions, that this is a problem. And, what's
worse, it worked fine in the past, with the same xorg.conf file.

I first noticed it after using Xrandr to switch from a MergedFB
xinerama-faked mode to a cloned mode, and disconnecting the external
display. I've been doing this to quickly disconnect the external
display, before taking the laptop somewhere. This used to work fine,
even since upgrading the OS--but now the flashing streaks appear. Have I
fried something in the video card by connecting/disconnecting the
external display while X is running?

I've found that if I cycle through the screen resolutions, certain
combinations work fine, but most do not. Right now, a combination of
1400x1050-800x600 in clone mode works--the other resolutions came up
with streaks. But after shutting down the computer, starting up again,
and cycling through a couple of resolutions I eventually got my main
setting (1400x1050 on the internal, 1024x768 on the external, its native
resolution) to work with only minimal streaking on the internal monitor,
which went away after moving some windows around.

Once it goes away, it seems to stay stable for a while. I'm wondering if
it has to do with RAM used for video?

Any ideas for troubleshooting this, or is it going to continue to
deteriorate on me? Anybody else experience this?

Xorg details:
xorg-x11-6.9.1.cvs20050915 (default for Mandriva 2006)
radeon driver
Section "Device"
    Identifier "device1"
    Driver "radeon"
    Option "DPMS"
    # acceleration
    Option "AGPMode" "4"
    Option "AGPFastWrite" "on"
    Option "RenderAccel" "on"
    Option "DynamicClocks" "on"

    # Enable power saving--disable if hangs
    Option "EnablePageFlip" "on"

    # Dual display - external is native 1024x768 LCD, connected through VGA
    #Option "MergedFB" "on" - off to allow single head if no monitor
connected
    Option "MergedNonRectangular" "On"
    Option "CRT2Position" "LeftOf"

    Option "MetaModes" "1400x1050-1024x768 1400x1050+1024x768
1400x1050+800x600 1400x1050 1024x768 800x600"
    Option "CRT2VRefresh" "60"
    Option "CRT2HSync" "31-90"
EndSection

Cheers,

--
John Locke
"Open Source Solutions for Small Business Problems"