[ltp] CD-RW/DVD-RW Multi-Burner problem with cdrecord

Matt Graham linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Thu, 15 Dec 2005 13:17:53 -0500

On Thursday 15 December 2005 12:48, after a long battle with technology,
Arnaud Fontaine wrote:
> I have done exactly as writing on your page, it seems really weird, i
> don't really understand what is wrong. That is all i have :
>
> root# /usr/bin/cdrecord -v -eject -tao
> speed=10 dev=/dev/scd0 driveropts=burnfree blank=fast
> [snip]
> cdrecord: Asked for SCSI I/O buffer size 64512 bytes, could only get
> 20480.

This may mean something, but probably not.

>   Disk sub type: High speed Rewritable (CAV) media (1)
[snip]
> cdrecord: Trying to use ultra high speed+ medium on a writer which is
> not compatible with ultra high speed+ media.

This is probably why it's failing.  There are 2 types of CD-RWs, those
that can be written at 1-4x (low speed CD-RWs) and those that can be
written at 8-32x (high-speed CD-RWs).  Either your CD-RW drive can't
write high-speed CD-RWs, or cdrecord thinks your drive can't.  This is
*not* a new problem; I ran into this with the CD-RW on my (ancient)
A22p and a high-speed CD-RW blank a couple years back.  Posted about it
a few times in comp.os.linux.* too.

> root@maggie,1107,18:33:13[~](255) # cdrecord -scanbus

Use dev= despite Joerg's pissing about it being unsupported.  The X,Y,Z
triplet doesn't mirror what Linux does internally, so it's IMHO not
relevant.

What happens if you try a CD-R?  If a CD-R works properly, then it's not
cdrecord, but media.  Beyond that... dunno, I've had no problems with
cdrecord or growisofs in 2.6.10-vanilla and 2.6.12-gentoo-r9.

--
   One OS to rule them all, with DRM to find them
   One OS to bring them all and with the EULA bind them