[ltp] a dark spot on my screen.

Francois Maltey linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Sun, 18 Dec 2005 18:01:32 +0100

Hello,

The fan of my t42 break down 2 weeks ago.
The laptop is still under guarantee.

So I call the IBM center and they take and change the fan.
9 days after my first call I get back my laptop. The fan is right.

But now I have a little dark spot (about 1 mm^2) of about
3x3 or 4x4 or 5x5 pixels (I can't see) on the 1600x1200 tft display.

I think it's not a lot of dead pixels because this spot is grey if the
background is  a white, dark blue when the background is light blue,
and so.

Perhaps it's a problem on the mirror? at the back of the tft screen ?

I'm sure that my screen was perfect when I send the laptop to IBM,
and I get the spot when I take my laptop back.

Tomorrow I'll call IBM and see if they can repair the screen.
Before I call I like to know the IBM policy :
Do you have an idea if IBM repair or not this (little) breakdown ?

It's not dead pixels, but the result is almost the same,
The spot is about 1mm^2,
I see about 4x4 pixels with a magnifying glass,
the standard for dead pixels is 16 for this screen.
In an xterm (or emacs) I can't read the letter around this spot.
The spot is about at 4cm from the right, and 8cm from the bottom.

What would you make in my case ?

I see that a 1600x1200 screen is about 550$ + taxes on lcd4less.
Is someone already try to change his screen ? Is it so difficult ?
Are all 15" uxga screen for T42 the same ?
I can't find 2373-WGK type/serie screen on internet.

Thank you for your opinion.

Francois