[ltp] Re: new T43 problems

Josh linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Sat, 24 Dec 2005 21:56:52 -0800 (PST)

I just bought a ThinkPad T43 and it looks like a great
computer, except for problems that I have been having.
 I want to shrink the Windows partition so I can put
Ubuntu 5.10 on it. (I was previously using Ubuntu 5.04
on my Toshiba before it broke.)

First I defragmented the drive 3 times until all the
files in XP were at the beginning of the drive.  Then
I booted Knoppix and tried to use qtparted to shrink
the partition.  It wouldn't let me shrink it more than
1GB.  I found out that the new Ubuntu has an NTFS
partition shrinking feature during install so I tried
that.  It looked like everything was going ok, but
then the installation failed.  When I rebooted, the
computer couldn't find any operating system at all.

So I used my 6 restore CDs and reinstalled the factory
settings.

Then I tried defragmenting XP again.  This second time
I couldn't get all the files to the beginning of the
drive no matter how many times I defragmented.  I
downloaded the trial version of Diskeeper to see if
that would be able to do it, but nothing would get the
files on the end of the partition to the beginning.

So I put Ubuntu in the drive and deleted the whole
NTFS partition and tried to install Ubuntu, just to
see if it would work.  The installation failed.  Now I
am trying to install Ubuntu a 3rd time -- and it just
failed now with the error message:
"Copying packages failed.  Copying packages to the
hard disk failed.  You may have run out of disk space
in the target /var filesystem, or your CD drive may be
having problems reading packages from the CD.
Cleaning the CD drive or burning at a lower speed may
help.

Check /var/log/syslog or see virtual console 4 for the
details"

I checked virtual console 4 and there is a long list
of messages including these lines:

-------
Dec 24 ... archive-copier: error: 'cp -a
"/cdrom/pool/main/l/language-pack-gnome-ru-base/language-pack-gnome-ru-base_20051011_all.deb"
"/target/var/cache/archive-coper/ship/language-pack-gnome-ru-base_20051011_all.deb"'
failed with code 1

Dec 24 ... kernel: [4296085.560000] ipw2200: Firmware
error detected.  Restarting
Dec 24 ... kernel: [4296085.560000] ipw2200: Firmware
error detected.  Restarting
Dec 24 ... kernel: [4296085.560000] ipw2200: Firmware
error detected.  Restarting
-------

I am using disks that were sent to me from Ubuntu
Shipit...

Has anyone had similar problems?  I don't know why I
can't defragment the original partition and why Ubuntu
won't install.  I need a dual-boot system, and I read
that Ubuntu works well on the T43.

Thanks,

Josh

Just $16.99/mo. or less.