[ltp] Immortal process that does not let the computer to sleep.

Mike Kershaw linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Sun, 25 Dec 2005 08:20:44 -0500

--2oS5YaxWCcQjTEyO

> Some days ago I tried to 'cat' a file in the /proc system, but it didn't
> work, the process hung and would not respond to a "kill -9". I tried
> closing the terminal (it was inside Konsole) and restarting the X server,
> but the process was still there. The real problem is I could not suspend
> the computer, because of this process, it said something like: "Strange,
> bash doesn't want to stop" (of course, the culprit was the 'cat' under
> 'bash'). So, at the end I had to reboot the computer to get rid of this
> process.

If the process is listed in 'ps' as state 'D' (and it sounds like it is,
since kill -9 didn't make it die), then you can't do anything.  It's in
uninterruptable IO sleep, forever.  You'll have to take an unclean
shutdown to get rid of it, there is no way to kill it.

-m

--=20
Mike Kershaw/Dragorn <dragorn@kismetwireless.net>
GPG Fingerprint: 3546 89DF 3C9D ED80 3381  A661 D7B2 8822 738B BDB1

As part of Mr. Lee's good neighbor policy, all Rat Things are programmed=20
never to break the sound barrier in a populated area.  But Fido's in too=20
much of a hurry to worry about the good neighbor policy.  Jack the sound=20
barrier.  Bring the noise.  - Snowcrash

--2oS5YaxWCcQjTEyO

--2oS5YaxWCcQjTEyO--