[ltp] Gentoo on thinkpad?

Thu, 29 Dec 2005 16:13:41 +0000

Thanks - that's very helpful,

Soren Harward wrote:

>>I'm considering making the leap from Mandriva to Gentoo on the A22p.
>>There are lots of advantages, but I don't know if the machine has either
>>the horsepower or disk space to compile from source.
>

> You probably knew this already, but compiling from source is not
> absolutely necessary when running Gentoo.

I didn't realise this. I know you can get a stage 3 install - but that
doesn't give me any of the GUI applications.  How do you get binary
packages? If using binaries, are these regularly updates (eg with
security updates?) Could I, initially, choose to install Gentoo as if it
were Mandrake (i.e. selecting a package repository, installing a few
hundred packages), and then recompile the system as I become familiar
with it?

>>Has anyone else done this successfully?
>

> If you have a faster machine available, you can always use distcc to
> compile most of your packages.  When you set distcc up on the laptop,
> put the faster machine first in the list of distcc hosts, such as:
>
>    /usr/bin/distcc-config --set-hosts "192.168.1.2 127.0.0.1"
>
> where 192.168.1.2 is the other, more powerful machine.  This will cause
> distcc to use the other machine preferentially for compiling.  emerges
> will go noticeably faster.

That sounds useful. Does the faster machine have to run gentoo as well?

Richard