[ltp] Gentoo on thinkpad?

Bret Comstock Waldow linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Fri, 30 Dec 2005 07:34:10 +1300

--nextPart1222420.XQVeKrUfT5

On Fri, 30 Dec 2005 05:13, Richard Neill wrote:

> If you do that, presumably you have to have somewhere to keep about 20GB
> of sources?

T21, T42, and TransNote.   ~ 3 GB max of sources (and my system is crammed=
=20
with software I haven't gotten around to trying out, full KDE, scientific=20
programs, complete Java development evironment with Eclipse, etc.).  By=20
removing older sources (distclean.py and other utilities) this is an upper=
=20
limit - usually it's less, unless I get lazy.

Do a Stage 3 install and you'll have a working system in a couple of hours.=
 =20
Then get suspend, networking or modem, and email working.

Then start optimizing (pick your custom settings) and the system will=20
recompile in the background while being available for everyday use.  Just=20
suspend it when you need to move it.  Install ccache to minimize recompiles.

Ocasionally when you are partway through a big upgrade (KDE particularly) i=
t=20
won't suspend and you need to reboot.

> And I assume you have to keep them permanently, so that when=20
> rsyncing to do updates, you don't have to re-download all the time.
> Is there a way around this?

It really isn't that big a deal if you follow the guidelines above.

Cheers,
Bret