[ltp] Gentoo on thinkpad?

Henrik Brix Andersen linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Fri, 30 Dec 2005 14:12:15 +0100

--4jXrM3lyYWu4nBt5

On Fri, Dec 30, 2005 at 07:45:47AM +1300, Bret Comstock Waldow wrote:
> On Fri, 30 Dec 2005 05:13, Richard Neill wrote:
> > I didn't realise this. I know you can get a stage 3 install - but that
> > doesn't give me any of the GUI applications.
>=20
> Oh, yes it does.  X, OpenOffice, KDE or Gnome, full build chain.  You'll =
have=20
> a basic working system just like Debian or Kubuntu.

Not true. A stage3 install doesn't provide a graphical environment
such as X11. You can install X11 either from the Gentoo Package CD or
by compiling it using `emerge xorg-x11`.

> > How do you get binary=20
> > packages?
>=20
> That's what a stage 3 install is.

Not really - stage3 is a system image. While it's true that it's
distributed in binary (it's a tarball) it is not a set of packages.

> Yes, with the caveat that some of the packages you want may not be includ=
ed in=20
> the stage 3 package setup.  Once you chose optimaztion flags and begin=20
> recompiling, you can't use pre-determined packages any more - you've step=
ped=20
> away from the "once size kinda fits all" settings for pre-packaged softwa=
re=20
> and you want to compile from source to get everything to fit.  But it wil=
l=20
> fit very well.

True.

Regards,
Brix
--=20
Henrik Brix Andersen <brix@gentoo.org>
Gentoo Metadistribution | Mobile computing herd

--4jXrM3lyYWu4nBt5

--4jXrM3lyYWu4nBt5--