[ltp] Gentoo on thinkpad?

Bret Comstock Waldow linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Fri, 30 Dec 2005 07:45:47 +1300

--nextPart14208691.VMMWbg67sZ

On Fri, 30 Dec 2005 05:13, Richard Neill wrote:

> I didn't realise this. I know you can get a stage 3 install - but that
> doesn't give me any of the GUI applications.

Oh, yes it does.  X, OpenOffice, KDE or Gnome, full build chain.  You'll ha=
ve=20
a basic working system just like Debian or Kubuntu.

> How do you get binary=20
> packages?

That's what a stage 3 install is.

> If using binaries, are these regularly updates (eg with=20
> security updates?)

The install CD's provide the regular updates.  There may be an intermediate=
=20
package update, but I don't know - the install CD is updated a couple of=20
times a year - I installed and started adding what I wanted.  it's=20
incremental after that.

> Could I, initially, choose to install Gentoo as if it=20
> were Mandrake (i.e. selecting a package repository, installing a few
> hundred packages), and then recompile the system as I become familiar
> with it?

Yes, with the caveat that some of the packages you want may not be included=
 in=20
the stage 3 package setup.  Once you chose optimaztion flags and begin=20
recompiling, you can't use pre-determined packages any more - you've steppe=
d=20
away from the "once size kinda fits all" settings for pre-packaged software=
=20
and you want to compile from source to get everything to fit.  But it will=
=20
fit very well.

> >>Has anyone else done this successfully?

Several times on several Thinkpads.

> > If you have a faster machine available, you can always use distcc to
> > compile most of your packages.  When you set distcc up on the laptop,
> > put the faster machine first in the list of distcc hosts, such as:
> >
> >    /usr/bin/distcc-config --set-hosts "192.168.1.2 127.0.0.1"
> >
> > where 192.168.1.2 is the other, more powerful machine.  This will cause
> > distcc to use the other machine preferentially for compiling.  emerges
> > will go noticeably faster.
>
> That sounds useful. Does the faster machine have to run gentoo as well?

It has to have the same complier.  Beyond knowing that, I haven't tried it.=
 =20
Put in ccache as well - it helps with or without distcc.  My TransNote and=
=20
T42 distcc'ing together will blow through 'emerge -e world' in about than 2=
4=20
hours if memory serves.

Cheers,
Bret