[ltp] partial success w/ radeon-patch on T41

Ulrich Kuehn linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Wed, 02 Feb 2005 18:29:52 +0100

Hi everybody,

I tried out the 2.6.11-rc2 kernel with the radeon patches to get rid of
the acpi sleep power issue. So far, I had some partial success so far.

Model 2373-2GG, Radeon Mobility 7500 (M7). Screen 1024x768, 14.1".

My thinkpad uses about 3000mW during suspend-to-RAM under 2.6.10

With all the patches and 2.6.11-rc2, it uses only about 600mW, so the
patch works as advertised.

Unfortunately, this comes at a price: There is sometimes a wierd,
high-pitched sound, as if some power converted would operate at some
audible frequency. So I assume there is some timing issues here.

A second issue is that glxgears gives about 712 FPS when used after a
fresh boot, but only about 703 when running after resuming from
suspend-to-RAM.

Any ideas what's happening here?

Ulrich