[ltp] ACPI + TP600e

wes schreiner linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Thu, 03 Feb 2005 16:07:34 -0600

Christian Reiser wrote:

> Hi,
>
> have soneone managed to control the fans inside the TP600e? Is this
> possible via ACPI? I got my machine booting:
>
> ACPI: AC Adapter [AC] (on-line)
> ACPI: Battery Slot [BAT0] (battery present)
> ACPI: Power Button (FF) [PWRF]
> ACPI: Lid Switch [LID0]
> ACPI: Sleep Button (CM) [SLPB]
> ACPI: Fan [FN00] (off)
> ACPI: Fan [FN20] (off)
> ACPI: Fan [FN60] (off)
> ACPI: Fan [FN70] (off)
> ACPI: Video Device [VID0] (multi-head: yes rom: no post: no)
> ACPI: Processor [CPU0] (supports C1 C2 C3)
> ACPI: Processor [CPU0] (supports 8 throttling states)
> ACPI: Thermal Zone [THM0] (70 C)
> ACPI: Thermal Zone [THM2] (37 C)
> ACPI: Thermal Zone [THM6] (35 C)
> ACPI: Thermal Zone [THM7] (27 C)
> ibm_acpi: ec object not found

I'm impressed, I didn't think APCI would ever work on the 600E. When it
was designed ACPI was very new, and was often implemented in ways that
later were seen to be non-standard. That's why the 2.6 kernel ACPI
blacklists all BIOS before 2001 or so.

> Any hint, why there should be four fans inside the machine? I only
> know about one ;-)

You are right, there is only one fan. What you are seeing above is four
fan inputs on the chip. Probably only one is used, though perhaps all
are unused and the fan is controlled some other way. I'm not sure if IBM
ever installed Windows with ACPI support on this ThinkPad.

> Is there a List of the Thermal Zones?

Don't know of one. My guess would be CPU, video chip, battery, and
perhaps second battery or maybe hard drive. You might be able to figure
it out by exercising your machine in various ways while taking repeated
readings.

> On the IBM-ACPCI (http://ibm-acpi.sourceforge.net/) page, it is
> stated, that tp600 is still to be done...

Does ibm-acpi have a mailing list? That might be the place to ask. If
you get ACPI working as well as APM on this ThinkPad please report your
success here. Good luck!

wes