[ltp] Debian XFree86 750P, anyone?

Chris Schumann linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Thu, 3 Feb 2005 17:28:58 -0600

Hi all,

I'm trying to get my 750P working again. It's a 33MHz 486 with 20MB RAM and
a 12GB hard drive, and I'm trying to run Debian on it. Well, Debian runs.
XFree86 is not usable. It's visible but with 320x200 pixels, you really
can't do much.

I have searched a lot on how to get this working, but everything I can find
is for very old versions of XFree86.

I'd be ever so grateful if one of you gurus would take me under your wing
and walk me through this. I think a lot of Debian experience is the key
here. I've only used Red Hat and Fedora, but those were not good choices for
this machine.

If you want some video details, the chip is a WD 90C24 with 1MB video RAM.
The display is 640x480 grayscale (64 levels or 6-bit if that matters).

Once that works, maybe we can get audio working, which apparently no one on
the planet has done and put online.

Many thanks,
Chris Schumann