[ltp] Watching movies off compact flash?

dopez linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Tue, 8 Feb 2005 13:42:33 +0100

On Tuesday 8 February 2005 12:54, Crispian Thorne wrote:
> In just over a week I'm off to Boston for LinuxWorld. This will mean a 4
> hour train journey each way on Amtrak, and as I'm not travelling
> "business class" I'm pretty sure there won't be AC outlets to plug in to.

[snip snip]

> So what do you think- is it worth it, will it actually use less power (I
> have no idea how much juice these things need), or would this be a
> complete waste? Thoughts please...

Not sure if this is of any use but i travel quite often these days and take my
R51 with me to entertain me. Since the travel is less then 3 hours i can go
on a standard battery but to make sure it doesnt get completely drained i try
to save some power too, basicly i just cat the avi to /dev/null and use
mplayer (or xine) to play it after catting so the harddisk can spin down, but
that would only work nice if you have enough memory and watch smaller files.

Perhaps you can split up the files into something that fits in memory and only
have to spin up the hd once in a while to buffer the next file, would save
you a few bucks on CF memory.

FWIW i can get a little over 2 hours of watching avi/divx with buffering the
file to memory and spinning down the harddisk and setting the LCD at lowest
setting.

> --
> Crispian Thorne
> linux@crispian.org