[ltp] Suggestions for 750P

Jeffrey L. Taylor linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Tue, 8 Feb 2005 09:41:41 -0600

Quoting Chris Schumann <cschumann@twp-llc.com>:
> I've got a 750P. Don't laugh TOO much. I also have two 600X's.
>
> I've got the 750P running again, and want to make it kind of useful. So far,
> I have a 12GB drive in it. One PC-DOS partition, one FreeDOS, and about 7GB
> for Linux.

Forget running X.  On a 50MHz 486DX2, X was just barely usable but the
flicker was hard on the eyes.  I have a 25MHz 486 laptop w/ 20MB RAM
that is reasonably functional with a bunch of virtual terminals,
8-10.  It has Debian on it.  Doing "apt-get update && apt-get
dist-upgrade" is a rather swap intensive operation.

With no CD-ROM, you want a floppy install friendly distro.  Slackware
is not floppy install friendly anymore.  SuSE requires more memory
than you have.  Debian, IMHO, is your best bet.  I'll bet you can find
a .deb for an older version of XFree86 somewhere that supports your
video chip.

HTH,
  Jeffrey