xorg's radeon driver (was: Re: [ltp] switch between clone mode and second screen)

Thu, 10 Feb 2005 10:22:59 -0500

On Thu, 10 Feb 2005 16:03:44 +0100, Johannes Wolter <j@inutil.org> wrote:
> Hi!
>
> On Thursday 10 February 2005 14:23, Uwe Walter wrote:
> > On Mi, 2005-02-09 at 16:03 -0800, obi wrote:
> > > Great job on the radeon driver!
> >
> > I would like to emphasize this.
> >
> > After suffering just too long from ATI's fglrx driver and staring two
> > months on an external panel connected via VGA (because of the broken
> > DVI), I went through the (not too big) hassle, finally installed XOrg on
> > my debian system and gave the open source radeon driver a new try.
>
> Is there any (reliable) apt source for XOrg-Debianpackages?

http://www.nixnuts.net/files/
I'm not sure of the status.

> Can anybody tell me the difference between the XFree "ati" driver and the XOrg
> "radeon" driver? I've a X31 with a radeon M6 and experienced ACPI-S3 hangups
> which are possibly caused by the graphics driver (I'm using the XFree "ati").

Xorg and xfree86 started out from the same code base.  Xorg separated
from Xfree86 about a year ago, and that is where most new development
is happening.  "ati" isn't really a driver.  both Xorg and xfree86
have it.  It's just a wrapper for the r128, radeon, and ati_misc
drivers.  All it does it load the appropriate driver.  you can
actually replace "ati" with "radeon" and it will still work. The same
goes for xorg.

Alex