[ltp] switch between clone mode and second screen

Brad Langhorst linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Thu, 10 Feb 2005 11:32:24 -0500

On Wed, 2005-02-09 at 20:30 +0100, Ulrich Kuehn wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I am just wondering if there is a way to switch the external DAC output
> between clone mode and a second, independent screen.
>
> My reasoning is as follows: I have a 17" monitor with 1280x1024
> resolution which I would like to use in addition to the internal
> display. Using the ServerLayout section in XF86Config works fine here.
>
> But for giving presentations on a typical beamer, the resolution is just
> too high, usual is 1024x768; furthermore I like to see what's beamed to
> the wall. So the clone mode is the method of choice here.
>
> Is there a tool that allows to switch between both modes without
> restarting X? I am aware that only the internal display would probably
> be cloned, not the external.

i'm working on a similar scheme...

I was inspired by another post on this list that uses a vncserver and
two vnc clients...

client 1 is full screen on display :0.1

client 2 is in a window on display :0.0

You can setup  x2vnc to make the mouse hit the edge of the screen on 0.0
and come out on 0.1  for non presentation mode.

I have two problems with this setup at the moment
1) when the vncclient on the external head is in full screen mode it
steals my keyboard - the mouse goes back and forth with no trouble but
the keyboard gets lost (i think this may have to do with my window
manager - metacity from gnome 2.8)  I could get around this by simply
making the presentation window the size of the screen if problem #2 were
not in play...

2) gnome puts an independent window manager on 0.1 - which is a waste of
resources.

brad