[ltp] Which Driver for my Video (A22p)?

James Mckenzie linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Thu, 10 Feb 2005 12:47:13 -0600 (CST)

Matt Graham wrote about James McKenzie's question on Which Driver for My Video?
 > On Thursday 10 February 2005 13:17, after a long battle with technology,
 > James Mckenzie wrote:
 > > 1.  If I build a kernel with the Rage 128 video 'built-in' to the
 > > kernel, my screen goes blank about the same time that the init
 > > changes to level 5. If I build a kernel with the Radeon video
 > > 'built-in' to the kernel this does not happen.
 > > So, does this video 'card' need the Rage drivers or the Radeon?
 >
 > You use the r128 X server for the A22p, and the r128 kernel module if
 > you want semi-accelerated OpenGL.  Build the r128 kernel module as a
 > module; that way, you can rmmod it if it causes problems.  I can't help
 > you with the ACPI junk; my A22p works just fine with APM and if it
 > ain't broke, fix it until it is broke... Er.

ACPI is supposed to make your battery time longer because it enables some features of the system.  Plus Software Hibernate is supposed to be better than suspend to disk because you can bypass the resume and bring up a fresh system.

 > > If so, I have to find a solution to the battery drain problems
 > > experienced by the Radeon driver.
 >
 > There's no Radeon chip in an A22p, so there's no problem.  HTH,

That is what is so strange.  I know the chipset is based on the Rage 128, but still I get a blank screen.  How about providing your xorg.conf file so that I can bounce mine against it.  I know this has to be simple and I want to move away from the Radeon driver.  One last thing, I did a lsmod after building only the ATI drivers and I found neither the Radeon nor the Rage drivers installed.
--
James McKenzie

This message was sent from a PCS Phone from Sprint.
Get a free PCS Mail account!
Sign up via the Web Browser on your Sprint Phone
or at http://www.sprintpcs.com.