[ltp] Which Driver for my Video (A22p)?

Matt Graham linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Thu, 10 Feb 2005 13:33:00 -0500

On Thursday 10 February 2005 13:17, after a long battle with technology,
James Mckenzie wrote:
> 1.  If I build a kernel with the Rage 128 video 'built-in' to the
> kernel, my screen goes blank about the same time that the init
> changes to level 5. If I build a kernel with the Radeon video
> 'built-in' to the kernel this does not happen.
> So, does this video 'card' need the Rage drivers or the Radeon?

You use the r128 X server for the A22p, and the r128 kernel module if
you want semi-accelerated OpenGL.  Build the r128 kernel module as a
module; that way, you can rmmod it if it causes problems.  I can't help
you with the ACPI junk; my A22p works just fine with APM and if it
ain't broke, fix it until it is broke... Er.

> If so, I have to find a solution to the battery drain problems
> experienced by the Radeon driver.

There's no Radeon chip in an A22p, so there's no problem.  HTH,

--
   I find that having a pint or two is a good problem-solving technique.
   Especially if it's vodka rather than beer.