[ltp] FC3 wrongly mounted an NTFS partn for a FAT32 partn

Eben King linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Fri, 11 Feb 2005 09:09:49 -0500 (EST)

On Fri, 11 Feb 2005, Kelvin KAN wrote:

> I've been using that NTFS partn (/dev/hda6) for years and could not have
> mistaken about it's format.  Furthermore, fdisk of FC3 also reported it
> to be NTFS (requoted here):
>
> /dev/hda6            6205        8236    15361888+   7  HPFS/NTFS

That's what the partition table says about it.  It could differ from the
actual filesystem used.  Try "file - < /dev/hda6" and see what it comes up
with.

> My guess is there are bugs in FC3 filesystem services that either:
> 1.  Ignore my "-t vfat" option

When it's mounted, run "mount | grep hda6" and see what filesystem type it's
mounted as.

> 2.  Cannot distinguish between two partn's (my fat32 & ntfs) within the
> same logical partn.

You should get garbage data in your filesystem (unless NTFS and FAT32 are
VERY close, which I don't believe is the case) if that happens.  I once had
a UMSDOS filesystem wrongly recognized as FAT32; I couldn't use
autodetection on it.

In Windows (You DO have Windows?  Otherwise why use NTFS?), get properties
for the filesystem and see what it says.

   Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit upon his hands,
   hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats. -- H.L. Mencken